These jalapeño chicken rolls are crispy, cheesy, and FULL of flavor! They are the perfect finger food for your Super Bowl party and I can guarantee everyone will love them.
This was actually the very first recipe I ever posted to my TikTok in 2020. It did okay, but after a few months I decided to reshoot it, just in time for Super Bowl. This has been one of my MOST shared recipes to date.
My inspiration for this dish came from the micro brewery Four Peaks in Tempe, Arizona. They are famous for their award winning amber beer, Kilt Lifter. Aside from the beers, the food is AMAZING. My favorite thing to order is the Arizona Chicken Rolls. It comes with a sweet jalapeno dipping sauce and it is the PERFECT appetizer!
I recreated the recipe and I think I got it pretty damn close. These are a hit when I make them for gatherings, and my husband’s friends always request them.
Chicken– you can use a rotisserie chicken if you want to save some time, but I highly recommend making my juicy, flavorful chicken breast for this. You just need seasoning salt (I use Lawry’s Seasoned Salt), pepper, sour cream, butter, and oil. There is a ton of flavor in the pan juices, which is why I recommend this over a rotisserie chicken.
Eggroll wrappers- any brand is fine. I usually get the Twin Dragons or Dynasty brand.
Cheese- you need two kinds of cheeses- cream cheese and whatever cheese you prefer. I normally use regular cream cheese but today I had some jalapeño cream cheese from my uncle’s bagel shop. For the other cheese, I use Monterey Jack or pepperjack.
Sweet jalapeño sauce- the egg roll is very good on its own, but I HIGHLY recommend pairing it with this sauce! It’s not spicy in my opinion, and it has amazing flavor. You’ll need jalapeños, honey, cilantro, sour cream, lime juice, cumin, & salt.
The chicken breast
To make this even faster, you can use a rotisserie chicken instead of making the chicken yourself. However, I can’t guarantee your results if you choose that route. It will save some time, but my method for cooking chicken breast isn’t difficult and I’m certain you’ll never cook another chicken breast any other way. It is SO flavorful and juicy. And the pan juices are very important in this recipe.
Egg roll wraps, spring roll skins, or flour tortillas?
I prefer to use egg roll wrappers because I have other uses for them, but spring roll skins work very well and make a smoother chicken roll. I have tried making it with flour tortillas as well, and the result was amazing but tasted slightly different- like a flauta.
There are two type of spring roll skins and it is important that you do not confuse them. You want the ones that are essentially like an eggroll wrapper, not the rice paper kind.
Instructions for freezing
You can freeze these for later! To freeze, place the uncooked egg rolls on a sheet pan and store in the freezer until frozen solid. Then you can store them in a freezer bag so they won’t stick together.
To reheat, don’t thaw them out. Just fry them like you normally would but for a longer period. If you find that the egg roll is browning too much but the center isn’t cooked yet, you can pop them in the air fryer or oven for a few more minutes.
Jalapeno Chicken Rolls
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 1 tsp Lawry's seasoning salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 oz monterey jack cheese or pepperjack
- 8 oz cream cheese add more if you want it extra creamy
- 1 jalapeno diced and deseeded
- 10 spring roll skins or eggroll wrappers
Sweet Jalapeno Dipping Sauce
- 2 jalapenos
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1 lime (juice)
- 1 tbsp honey
- pinch of cumin
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- Blend all of the jalapeno dipping sauce ingredients together except for the sour cream. When smooth, fold in the sour cream by hand. Do not try to blend it all together- the sour cream will become extremely runny. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Pound the chicken breast to make it even throughout, then season with your favorite seasoning salt & black pepper. I use Lawry's Seasoned Salt. Then coat the chicken with sour cream.
- On medium-high heat, sear the chicken breast in 1 tbsp canola oil. Add 1 tbsp butter, flip the chicken over and baste with butter. Cover and reduce heat to low for 12 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches near 165 degrees F.
- Turn off heat, uncover then let the chicken cool down completely. Side note- this is my favorite way to prepare the juiciest, most flavorful chicken breast!
- Shred the chicken then add a diced jalapeno, monterey jack cheese, and cream cheese. Add more cream cheese if you want it extra creamy. Make sure you let the chicken cool down enough or the cheese will melt. Mix it all together in the same pan you cooked the chicken so you keep all the flavorful juices.
- Roll the chicken mix into spring roll skins (or egg roll wrappers) and seal with a little water. You can use flour tortillas if you can't find the wrappers. It will taste slightly different (like a flauta) but still delicious.
- Shallow fry at 350 degrees F for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown and crispy. *You can also brush with oil and air fry these at 350 degrees F for 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Cool on a wire rack before serving. You can cut them in half or leave them whole.