This rum cake is SO moist, delicious, and extremely easy to make! I am not much of a baker but this comes out perfect every single time. If I can make it, so can you!
Last Christmas, my sister brought home a rum cake that her friend Maggie made and it sat on the kitchen counter for a couple of days before I even touched it. Truth be told, I am not much of a cake person. But I was having my morning coffee and decided to try a bite, and holy crap it was AMAZING.
Maggie was kind enough to share her recipe with me and she gave me permission to share it here as well. So special thank you and shout out to Maggie for this awesome recipe!
Yellow cake mix– Maggie did not specify which brand to use so I am going to assume that any yellow box cake is fine. I used Betty Crocker Super Moist yellow cake mix and it turned out perfect. You can find this in the baking aisle at any grocery store.
Vanilla instant pudding mix- again, no specific brand was specified but I used the JELL-O brand.
Spiced Rum- For this one, she did say that Captain Morgan is the best. Bacardi spiced rum would be the next best option but it’s best not to deviate from these two.
Pecans- you can leave this out if you have a nut allergy. The recipe calls for 1 cup which is good but I love the pecan crust so much that I usually add 1/2 cup more. It’s really, really good!
Other ingredients- eggs, water, & oil for the cake batter.
Glaze- One thing I really love about this recipe is that you don’t have to worry too much about over baking the cake. I was worried that mine dried out a bit the first time I made it but this glaze added all the moisture back into the cake and was absolutely delicious. For the glaze you’ll need butter, spiced rum, sugar, and warm water.
Floured baking spray– so the cake easily comes out of the pan. This stuff really works, there was absolutely zero. sticking to the pan when I flipped the cake over! PAM or Baker’s Joy work well.
I haven’t tried making this in a regular cake pan but I’m assuming it will also work. But for the classic Christmas bundt rum cake, you’ll need a bundt cake pan.
I got mine from Chef’s Toys and my cake easily came out of the pan. You can purchase the same exact one on Amazon: Winco 10″ Bundt Cake Pan
Instructions for storing
This cake will stay good for a week! It gets better after a day actually, so definitely save some to have with your morning coffee over the next couple of days.
Just wrap it with some plastic wrap or cover with a cake dome cover.
*This blog post has affiliate links to products that I recommend. I am not sponsored by these brands, but I do make a small commission from purchases made through these links.
Mag's Rum Cake
- 10" bundt cake pan
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- floured baking spray to coat the bundt pan
- 1 box yellow cake mix I use Betty Crocker Super Moist
- 1 3.4 oz box of vanilla pudding mix I use JELL-O
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1/2 cup Captain Morgan spiced rum
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 eggs
- 1 stick salted butter Kerry Gold recommended
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup Captain Morgan spiced rum or Bacardi spiced rum
- Preheat the oven to 325 degree Fahrenheit. Prep the bundt cake pan with a light coat of floured baking spray and sprinkle the pecans around the bottom. This is one of my favorite parts of the cake so feel free to add more if you love pecans!
- Combine all the cake batter ingredients and mix until just incorporated- try not to over mix. I use my electric hand mixer but a whisk is fine too.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepped bundt cake pan and bake for 1 hour.
- When it's done, use a long bamboo skewer or anything you have that is thin and long enough to poke several holes into the cake all over so that the glaze has entry paths. I poked about 20 holes.
- Add the butter, rum, water, and sugar to a large microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 3 minutes, take it out and give it a stir, then microwave for another 3 minutes.
- Give it another stir then pour it all over the cake still in the pan. Careful not to pour too much towards the center or it will pool and get stuck there. Start from the outside and work your way in towards the center.
- Let it rest for 20-30 minutes. This step is important, do not skip it.
- Flip over onto a plate and enjoy 🙂